Data Visualization Specialist
The Georgia Tech Library is looking for a Data Visualization Specialist to join our team in Atlanta! This individual should be knowledgeable, creative, and resourceful as they will have the exciting opportunity to take the lead role in defining, developing, implementing and managing data and visualization services on behalf of the Library. Applicants for this position should have instruction experience, both classroom and one-on-one instruction. The incumbent should be eager to shape change and to partner with internal and external stakeholders. They will be instrumental in building a sustainable data visualization service model as the Library responds to the dynamic data needs of GT faculty and students. The incumbent must have an active interest in the evolving roles of research libraries in the landscape of higher education. To understand how the Georgia Tech Library is influencing the role of research libraries, please visit http://renewal.library.gatech.edu. Here you will learn more about our Library Renewal work.
- Teach course-integrated instruction in classrooms and provide workshops on data and visualization tools. Develop instructional materials and guides to support services.
- Lead the design, development and implementation of sustainable and scalable data and visualization resources and services. Build the foundation for these services in support of the Visualization Lab and the Digital Media and Scholarship Commons planned for the renewed library.
- Manage the support of Library data and visualization services and resources, including technology and research consultations.
- Collaborate with Library and campus stakeholders to support teaching and learning in the use of data and visualization tools for faculty, staff and students in all academic disciplines.
- Partner with other Library specialists to provide a full suite of Library services/resources to the campus.
A relevant graduate degree in a field related to the position or a Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program.
Minimum of one year of experience in the following areas:
- Quantitative and visualization tools, for example Tableau, GIS or D3.js.
- Classroom and one-on-one instruction or leading workshops/training and/or research consultations
- Experience supporting data and visualization services in a research setting.
- Graphic design skills using relevant software
Depending on qualifications the position will be appointed as a librarian or other non-tenure track faculty member and is subject to a review and promotion process. The incumbent will have an effort distribution of 80% in assigned duties, 10% scholarship, and 10% professional service.
Salary and rank commensurate with credentials and experience. This is a full-time faculty appointment.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed to be exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Equal Education/Employment Opportunity Institution and the Library encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
If interested in this position, please submit your curriculum vitae (CV) / resume and cover letter as one document to the Georgia Institute of Technology Library’s Human Resources department by using the following link: Data Visualization Specialist
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Interested in working at the Georgia Tech
Fill out the Library Student Employment Application
- Your application will be distributed to various departments within the Library based on the need for student assistants.
- We will contact you if we have a suitable employment opportunity.
- Scheduled hours vary by department; weekend or evening hours may be required.
- In some departments, students are asked to work during semester breaks.
Duties may include:
- Shelving and retrieval of materials.
- Use of the Library's online catalog system for circulation of materials.
- Photocopying of articles from journals and magazines.
Qualifications: Basic typing skills are preferred; attention to detail is required; excellent customer service skills are essential.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution