Data Visualization Specialist
The Georgia Tech Library is looking for a Data Visualization specialist to join our team! This individual should be knowledgeable, creative, and resourceful as they will have the exciting opportunity to take the lead role in defining, developing, implementing and managing data and visualization services on behalf of the Library. Applicants for this position should be eager to shape change and to partner with internal and external stakeholders. They will be instrumental in building a sustainable data visualization service model as the Library responds to the dynamic data needs of GT faculty and students. The incumbent must have an active interest in the evolving roles of research libraries in the landscape of higher education. To understand how the Georgia Tech Library is influencing the role of research libraries, please visit http://renewal.library.gatech.edu. Here you will learn more about our Library Renewal work.
- Lead the design, development and implementation of sustainable and scalable data and visualization resources and services. Build the foundation for these services in support of the Visualization Lab and the Digital Media and Scholarship Commons planned for the renewed library.
- Manage the support of Library data and visualization services and resources, including technology and research consultations.
- Collaborate with Library and campus stakeholders to support teaching and learning in the use of data and visualization tools for faculty, staff and students in all academic disciplines.
- Partner with other Library specialists to provide a full suite of Library services/resources to the campus.
- Design and deliver course-integrated instruction and workshops on data and visualization tools. Develop instructional materials and guides to support services.
- A relevant graduate degree in a field related to the position or a Master's degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program. Depending on the qualifications, appointment will be as a librarian or as other non-tenure track faculty member.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends, tools, technologies, and practices supporting data and visualization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quantitative and visualization tools.
- Demonstrated experience with instruction or leading workshops/training and/or research consultations.
- Experience executing and managing change.
- Experience supporting data and visualization services in a research setting.
- Proficiency with graphic design, using relevant software and using tools to support text analysis.
- Familiarity with geospatial technology.
- Experience with researching and writing grants
Depending on qualifications the position will be appointed as a librarian or other non-tenure track faculty member and is subject to a review and promotion process. The incumbent will have an effort distribution of 80% in assigned duties, 10% scholarship, and 10% professional service.
Salary and rank commensurate with credentials and experience. This is a full-time faculty appointment.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed to be exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Equal Education/Employment Opportunity Institution and the Library encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
If interested in this position, please submit your curriculum vitae (CV) / resume and cover letter as one document to the Georgia Institute of Technology Library’s Human Resources department by using the following link: Data Visualization Specialist
Information Associate I
The Georgia Tech Library is in the process of renewing its buildings and services. In doing so, library service is shifting from a reactive customer service model at a service desk to an outwardly focused operation that recognizes patrons’ underlying needs and proactively delivers information and support services to address their information needs. Prior to applying for this exciting opportunity, you are encouraged to learn more about the Library’s Renewal initiative by visiting: http://renewal.library.gatech.edu.
Provide basic information services and information technology support to library users. Services provided include assistance with database searches, identifying references, locating materials and assisting with computer access and troubleshooting computer related issues.
- Assist library users in reference searches, locating materials and providing general information regarding library resources.
- Provide basic technical support to users needing assistance with computers and peripherals including troubleshooting problems encountered, training in use of selected software and obtaining wireless access.
- Participate, as assigned, in departmental initiatives and projects.
- Process incoming materials and provide related departmental clerical support.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Technical Diploma, Associate's degree or two years college coursework or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two to four years job related experience.
- This job requires basic knowledge of library reference resources and bibliographic information retrieval; ability to search databases and effectively analyze and interpret finding. Additionally, information technology skills are required to facilitate basic user support in specified applications and software systems.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two to four years related experience in an academic library environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to take initiative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills
- Strong technology skills
- Characteristics of self-reliance and leadership
- Ability to perform complex and multiple tasks
- Willingness to keep abreast of changing technologies and to assume new responsibilities
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position with the following schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, 10AM to 7PM. The role of the Information Associate I will be to proactively seek out, engage, and assist library users (faculty, students, staff) in their scholarly work by moving throughout library spaces to provide research and reference, fulfillment (access/circulation), and technology assistance.
This position requires the following: ability to walk around library spaces and to be mobile for extended periods of time; ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods.
This position will also involve access to customers’ financial information. Therefore, the successful candidate must be able to pass a background check which will include a credit check. Please visit http://www.policylibrary.gatech.edu/pre-employment-screening to obtain GT's background and credit policy.
Candidates must apply through the Georgia Tech Human Resources site for consideration.
Please reference, Requisition Number: 0173421
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
Interested in working at the Georgia Tech
Fill out the Library Student Employment Application
- Your application will be distributed to various departments within the Library based on the need for student assistants.
- We will contact you if we have a suitable employment opportunity.
- Scheduled hours vary by department; weekend or evening hours may be required.
- In some departments, students are asked to work during semester breaks.
Duties may include:
- Shelving and retrieval of materials.
- Use of the Library's online catalog system for circulation of materials.
- Photocopying of articles from journals and magazines.
Qualifications: Basic typing skills are preferred; attention to detail is required; excellent customer service skills are essential.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution