|Search this Collection Description:|
|Title:||L. W. "Chip" Robert, Jr. Alumni/Faculty House Dedication Records|
|Size/Quantity:||0.2 linear feet (one half-sized document case)|
|Language:||This collection is written in English.|
|Creator:||Georgia Tech Alumni Association.|
|Repository:||Archives & Records Management, Library, Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Abstract:||In 1979, the Young Men's Christian Association building on North Avenue was renovated for use as an Alumni/Faculty House. Funded by the Robert Foundation, the building was dedicated as the L. W. "Chip" Robert, Jr. Alumni/Faculty House on November 17, 1979. These records include correspondence, programs, and other materials documenting the planning of the dedication.|
The Young Men's Christian Association played an active role on the Georgia Tech campus from its earliest days. In 1910, regional secretary Dr. Willis Duke Weatherford secured a $50,000 donation from John D. Rockefeller to be used to construct a new building. An additional $25,000 was raised in the community, and on June 7, 1912, the Rockefeller Y. M. C. A., located on North Avenue, was dedicated and opened. Throughout the years, the Y. M. C. A. played an important role in the daily routine of students at Tech. The building housed every student organization and contained a social hall, post office, game rooms, and auditorium. The construction of the student center in 1970 moved many of these activities away from the Y. M. C. A. At the same time, the administration was aware of a growing need for a place where alumni and faculty could gather. In 1975, Jack Mundy donated $138,500 to the Georgia Tech Foundation to conduct a feasibility study for the use of the Y. M. C. A. In late 1976, Louisa Carroll and Birney Jones, daughters of alumnus Lawrence W. "Chip" Robert, Jr., pledged $596,000 from the Robert Foundation for the reconstruction and renovation of the old Y. M. C. A. The building was dedicated as the L. W. "Chip" Robert, Jr. Alumni/Faculty House on November 17, 1979.
The Robert Alumni/Faculty House Dedication records include correspondence, programs, and planning materials pertaining to the dedication ceremonies on Saturday, November 17, 1979. The correspondence is primarily outgoing correspondence to the principal donors, including Jack Mundy (C.E. 1934), Louisa Carroll, and Birney Jones, outlining arrangements for the dedication. This correspondence was written by then-President Joseph M. Pettit and J. Frank Smith, Jr., President of the Georgia Tech National Alumni Association. Also included are thank-you notes written by John P. Culver, Assistant Vice President for Institute Relations and Development, to speakers, caterers, and others who handled the logistics of the event. The programs contain a history of the Y. M. C. A. at Georgia Tech, as well as background on the planning and financing of the renovation of the Y. M. C. A. building to house the Alumni Association. Planning materials include invitations, lists of invitees, and public relations material.
These records are arranged alphabetically by folder title.
Please cite L. W. "Chip" Robert, Jr. Alumni/Faculty House Dedication Records (MS059), Archives, Library and Information Center, Georgia Institute of Technology.
Martha J. Orth, Special Events Coordinator, transferred the records on July 21, 1988. Accession #1988.0802 (old number: 88-08-02).
Susan J. Illis processed these papers in 2000.
Revisions to Finding Aid
Permission to publish materials from this collection must be obtained from the Head of Archives and Special Collections.
A print copy of this finding aid is available in the Georgia Tech Archives reading room.
|1||2||Planning materials, 1979.|