From the 1906-1909 Announcements: A. Samuel French, a wealthy industrialist in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
provided $2,500 unconditionally and $3,000 conditional upon the city of Atlanta providing a matching
In December, 1898, the Legislature appropriated $10,000 per annum for two consecutive years for the support
of the Textile Department. The establishment of this department is an entirely new feature in education
in the State of Georgia, and the superior equipment for instruction in the manufacture of all grades of
cotton goods is expected to bring a material increase in the wealth and prosperity of our people.
The building is a splendid example of architectural skill in modern mill construction, its equipment is the
most complete in the world for education in the different branches of cotton manufacture.
Architecturally, the Textile Building is a simple, inexpensive industrial structure and in its textile
manufacturing function is extremely successful. Modeled after small new England Textile mills, the school
commission reflected the Bostonian Lockwood Green's experience in mill design.
The department offers unexcelled advantages to the young man who intends to enter the textile industry. We
believe that the student, on graduating, should have a sound foundation in engineering subjects as well as
in the branches relating directly to the textile trade.
Besides the usual subjects given in the textile schools, such as carding, spinning, weaving, designing, and
dyeing, extensive courses in mathematics, English, chemistry, physics, mechanism, mechanics, drawing,
strength of materials, steam-engine, electrical work, mill construction, and shop work. Instruction in all
branches will be given by means of lectures, recitations, demonstrations, and practice on the splendid
equipment of the loom.
The Lyman Hall Laboratory of Chemistry, which is in the shape of a T, is of brick with limestone
trimmings, and is two stories in height, with a full basement. Each floor has an approximate area of 5,600
r oratory, photographic and
For the removal of noxious gases, they are amply provided with hoods, each of which has a separate flue
The Chemical and Physical laboratories have been fitted up with reference to practical work, and such