GT ID Number:

T171 .G42 G49x GTVA-UKL999-A

[Georgia School of Technology Campus View, ca. 1888-1918]


Writing on front of photo: Georgia Tech about 1900. Knowles not shown. Left to right Swann Hall, Electrical Engineering Building, Old Shop, Administration Building, A. French Building, Knowles Dormitory. Stamped in red ink in three places. Writing on back: p. 18 & 19, 2, 4992, around 1900.

From the 1888-1899 Announcements: Georgia Tech became a physical entity in 1887. Extract from the Act of the General Assembly of Georgia, entitled an Act to Establish a Technological School. : that there shall be established, in connection with the State University, and forming one of the departments thereof, a Technological School, for the education and training of students in the industrial and mechanical arts. In conformity with this Act of the Legislature, the leading object of the School will be to teach the principles of science, especially those which relate to the mechanic and industrial arts. The school offers an education of high grade, founded on the mathematics, the English language, the physical sciences and drawing, while it gives such familiarity with some industrial pursuit as will enable the graduate to earn a living. The Georgia School of Technology opened its doors the first Wednesday in October, 1888. The first faculty were Captain Lyman Hall, Mathematics, Rev. Charles Lane, English, R.B. Shepard, Mechanical and Free-hand Drawing, Dr. William H. Emerson, Chemistry and John S. Coons, Mechanical Engineering. M.P. Higgins, on loan from the Worcester Free Institute, served as the first superintendent of the school's shop. The only degree offered was the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. The initial enrollment consisted of 95 young men, all but two from Georgia. Peters Park was selected for the campus site, over competing sites in Grant Park and on Boulevard, for reasons of cost and best proximity to Atlanta business, railroads and industry. The first campus of the Georgia School of Technology was nine acres and two buildings in the area bounded by North Avenue, Fowler Avenue, and Cherry Street.