By the 1895-96
school year, Dr. Hopkins, the ardent proponent of practical mechanics,
resigned to pursue his ministerial career. Captain Lyman Hall, Professor
of Mathematics, was selected as the second president of the Georgia School
of Technology. That same year, the engineering program was expanded to
include bachelor's degrees in civil and electrical engineering, as well
as the existing mechanical engineering degree. Captain Hall-a stern disciplinarian
and tireless worker-devoted himself to building the physical plant and
expanding the two-building trade school into a full-fledged technical
institute. He inherited a school with 2 buildings possessing a physical
value of approximately $100,000 and increased it during his tenure to
9 buildings with a physical value of more than $240,000. Enrollment increased
fivefold, from less than 100 to more than 500 students
Representative Clarence Knowles of Fulton County was a tireless supporter of Hall's plan to build a dormitory, arguing that dormitories would make the school accessible to the poorer students of Georgia. Knowles even took his fellow legislators to the school to see for themselves the need for a dormitory.
In 1897, the legislature provided funds to build the dormitory. Bruce and Morgan, architects of the two previous buildings on campus, won the architectural commission for the dormitory in 1897. The dormitory, which opened in September 1897, was named for Clarence Knowles. Like "The Shacks," Knowles Dormitory had neither electricity nor steam heat. It did have 36 rooms housing two students each, a gymnasium, shower facilities and a dining room. In January 1897, 175 students were enrolled. Within a year of the dormitory's opening, enrollment had jumped to 267, requiring that three students share a room instead of two.
In the fall
of 1897, John T. Boifuillet, representative from Bibb County, petitioned
the legislature to establish a textile program at the school. The textile
industry was growing in importance in the state. Cotton served as a transforming
bridge between the highly agrarian antebellum "Old South," where
cotton was the principal crop, and the more industrialized "New South,"
where cotton was the staple of the developing textile industry.
According to Drury, "each building, composed in Neo-Classical Revival style, has a three story mass divided into a principal block of 2 stories, a string course, and an attic story. The plain brick walls and an uncomplicated roof line are in keeping with this style, as is the flat arch lintels and the use of Greek details. The entrance of each building has been designed as the dominant feature." (18)
Tech Annual Announcement for 1902-1903 notes that the fifty-room Janie
Austell Swann Dormitory is "heated by the blower system, lighted
with electricity, and contains ample halls, reception rooms, etc."
The Announcement further noted that "all students in the Apprentice
and Sub-Apprentice classes who do not reside with their parents are required
to board in the school dormitories." (19)
turned his attention to construction of a chemistry building. Once again,
the legislature passed the appropriation but required significant matching
funds ($10,000) from private sources. Hall again embarked on a strenuous
fund raising program. This time, the effort proved too much. President
Hall died on August 16, 1905 at a New York health resort where he had
retreated to recover from exhaustion and illness. The school board of
trustees named the new building, which opened in 1906, the Lyman Hall
Laboratory of Chemistry, in honor of the late president.
Continue to the Matheson Early Administration 1905-1908