When creating a Data Management Plan (DMP) for a grant proposal, always check the specific funding agency or program solicitation for guidelines. See our Federal Agency Public Access Policies Research Guide for information about agency guidelines. Remember that you can use the DMPTool to help develop your plan.
In general, there are six core components to a DMP:
- Description of data to be produced or collected, including data standards or formats
- Identification of protocols or workflows to help manage data throughout the project
- Description of documentation and metadata standards to describe the data
- Plan for short-term data storage & backup, including necessary security measures
- Plan for sharing data, including legal and ethical issues, intellectual property issues, or access policies and provisions
- Plan for data preservation, archiving, and long-term access